Why You Should Only Buy From Authorized Retailers
Our first concern is always your ultimate satisfaction with your Definitive loudspeakers. We go to great pains to make sure you get the best products and the best pre and after sale service. For those reasons we strongly advise you to purchase Definitive products only from authorized Definitive Technology retailers. There are some good reasons why you should be careful about buying from non-authorized dealers:
- Non-Definitive "Definitive" - Ever see those guys in New York selling Rolex watches on the street corner for $25? How can they do that? They are not really Rolex watches but copies made in countries where laws are laxly enforced. Counterfeit Definitive Technology speakers may look like the real thing, but they don't sound like the real thing. When you buy from an authorized dealer you are assured of getting the real deal - genuine Definitive Technology product.
- Warranty - Definitive's policy states that our warranty applies only to the original
purchaser. Products purchased from non-authorized dealers have already been sold once
(to the non-authorized dealer) and therefore are second-hand goods by the time they come
into your possession and are not covered by Definitive's warranty. Some non-authorized
retailers will claim that they will warrant your purchase but may in fact not be in a
good position to do so (see #4 & #5 below).
In order to protect their sources of Definitive merchandise, non-authorized dealers sometimes remove the original serial number and replace it with one of their own. Definitive's warranty does NOT cover products with removed or defaced serial numbers.
- Reliability of supply – Generally, non-authorized dealers do not stock Definitive products but attempt get them once they get an order. They cannot order directly from us but rely on an authorized Definitive dealer to sell them the item. Maybe they can get it quickly, maybe they can't. Maybe you wait for weeks, maybe you never get it. We have received reports of customers who got the run around for weeks only to be told that "Definitive can't deliver" and "besides, you'd really like this brand X speaker better." In some cases it appears that there was never a real intention of delivering Definitive Technology products but the retailer was using the classic "bait and switch" tactic.
- Service - Given a poor supply chain, a non-authorized dealer is in a poor position to deal with freight damage and other service issues. Even though some dealers claim to warrant the product in lieu of the manufacturer's warranty, they do not have a direct source for getting genuine Definitive replacement parts since they can't order them from us. Definitive Technology cannot replace freight-damaged product or service a product with a removed or defaced serial number. If you are not happy with the product or want to trade-up you may find it hard to get a refund or full-credit trade up.
- Reliability - There are a lot of fly-by-night retailers out there, particularly the dot com variety. Here today gone tomorrow. Example: Liquidprice.com was quite ill-liquid and went out of business. Retailers must meet many requirements to become an authorized Definitive retailer - including financial solvency and stability.
So how do you know? The Definitive website has an up-to-date list of authorized Definitive dealers, both on-line and store-front retailers. Authorized Definitive internet dealers will display the logo shown here on their site. Look for it. Anyone claiming to be an authorized Definitive technology dealer, who is not in fact authorized, is breaking the law and subject to consequences. If you are ever in doubt, contact Definitive customer service (410) 363-7148 or send an email to info@DefinitiveTech.com to verify a dealer's status.
Special Note about eBay
Most of the Definitive products you see on eBay are second hand products regardless of what the seller claims. No retailers or private sellers are authorized by Definitive to sell products on eBay.com, therefore Definitive products purchased on EBay are probably not covered by our warranty. Be carful and check with us first.